When completing your first VAT return you can make a claim for goods and services purchased prior to VAT registration.
You can generally claim VAT on goods you purchased up to 4 years before registration and 6 months for services purchased. There are a few conditions in order for you to claim back the VAT however.
- the goods were bought by the same business/entity that is now registered e.g. you cannot claim back VAT for goods purchased by another business.
- the goods and services are business related.
- the goods (e.g. assets and stock) are still held by you.
- goods that have been completed used up e.g. petrol, gas, electricity etc.
- goods that have already been sold or supplied before registering for VAT.
- goods relating to supplies that are exempt from VAT.